You have to pick an environmental issue that a community, city or province is presently facing in Canada.
The issue may be of national significance but the issue should be discussed from a provincial, city or
local community perspective. This is to ensure that you do not pick up a topic that is too broad in scope (I
am looking for brevity and depth rather than a high-level overview).
Given that environmental issues often have multiple related dimensions (in addition to environmental),
e.g., social, economic, political (governance) and ethical, you have to set the context by highlighting all
those aspects (as applicable). In addition, while making recommendations on how to tackle the issue,
please limit the number of recommendations to your top two recommendations (you may make only one
recommendation if you like).
1. The issue: what is at stake?
2. Underlying causes: What is/are causing this issue? Provide brief historical overview if relevant.
3. Impacts / implications: Why is this an important issue or concern (why should we care)?
(Consider all key dimensions of sustainability)
4. Actions: What is being done to address the issue?
(By government, businesses, NGOs, community groups and individuals)
5. Challenges: What are the key challenges to addressing this issue (why is it difficult to solve)?
6. Recommendations: What can be done? What are your top recommendations (no more than two;
The essay will have a length of no more than 1600 words excluding references. Use 12 point Times
Roman font throughout with a line spacing of 1.15 or 1.5 pt. Use a consistent style for layout and
citations. Submit the document in MS Word format (do not send a document in PDF or any other
Provide “in-text” citations; this means mentioning the source whenever you use facts and figures from a
published source next to where you quote the information in the document. Also list all quoted sources at
the end of the document in the “Reference” section. Do not mention any source not used in your paper (I
want you to add a reference, not a bibliography). Use APA, Chicago or MLA style for references.
Please do not copy and paste sections from existing articles or reports. I expect you to do a thorough
research, think about the issue critically, and then write up the report in your own words.