THE TERM PAPER
You will write a research paper on one of the topics listed
below. Your essay should discuss three
connections toat least two different world regions, but the
connections must be to specific places in those world regions (for example a
specific country or a specific city). The paper can be descriptive, meaning
that you do not need to provide a thesis statement or formulate an overarching
argument. Please use cases or examples that were not covered in lecture.
topics to choose from:
- The renewable energy industry in the U.S. and/or
Canada as a source of connections between North
America and specific places in other world regions.
- Cuba’s tourism industry as a source of
connections between the Latin America
and Caribbean region (LAC) and specific
places in other world regions.
- The finance and banking sector as a source of
connections between Europe and
specific places in other world regions.
- Religion as a source of connections between the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region
and specific places in other world regions.
- Literature and/or the fine arts as a source of
connections between the Sub-Saharan
Africa region and specific places in other world regions.
- The arms and weapons industry as a source of
connections between the Russia and
Central Asia region and specific places in other world regions.
- Hong Kong’s 2019 protests as a source of
connections between the East Asia region
and specific places in other world regions.
- The required length for your paper is three to
four pages double-spaced, plus a title page and a bibliography page. You will
demonstrate critical synthesizing skills by not exceeding the page limit.
- In the opening paragraph, indicate what the main
topic is and briefly explain its significance (in other words, briefly give one
or two reasons why the topic matters — why you find it interesting to research).
- In the body of the paper, use separate sections to
discuss each of the three global connections you identified.
- As part of your discussion, explain the
connections you identified and name the specific places and world regions where
the connections are established or maintained.
- Please use descriptive headings to signpost the
connection you discuss in each section of your paper.
- Using footnotes, define two or three important
words or specialized terms used in your paper. Do not include definitions of
terms that were defined in the assigned textbook or in lecture.
- In the closing paragraph, conclude with a
summary of the global connections you discussed.
- Include a bibliography in APA citation style,
listing only the sources cited in the essay (use a minimum of four and a maximum of eight credible sources).
- Remember to include page numbers in the footer.
Please do not include illustrations or an abstract.
- Save your essay as a PDF file, using your last name and student ID as the file name (for
example: Rao 105983320.pdf). Submissions that are not in PDF format or do not
follow the file name requirements will
not be accepted.
- You must submit your term paper on cuLearn
rather than by email.
research sources allowed:
- Peer-reviewed academic articles and books
- Credible press publications
- Credible grey literature
- Please do not cite material from the lectures or
from the assigned text book.
Read Carleton University’s pamphlet “Evaluating online information“
and consult with a librarian if you have any doubts about the credibility of a
- The paper conforms to the required length.
- The main topic and its significance are laid out
in the introduction.
- Each of the three identified connections to
specific places in at least two explicitly named world regions is relevant to
the topic and has been explained in its own section of the paper.
- The explanation of each global connection is
supported with cited evidence obtained from the types of research sources
- Two or three pertinent concepts or terms used in
the paper are defined in footnotes.
- The conclusion summarizes the connections
presented in the body of the paper.
- The research sources cited in the paper are
reported in APA style (in-text & bibliography).
- The paper has been carefully edited to ensure
the quality of writing meets the expectations of a secondyear paper.
- The paper was submitted in PDF format on culearn.
Projects not submitted by the deadline will attract a
penalty of 15 points out of 100 per day late. If you are going to have
difficulties meeting the deadline, do not wait until the last minute to speak
to me about it.
Projects submitted by email without permission from the
instructor will attract a penalty of 15 points out 100. If you are having
trouble with culearn, do email me but do not attach your term paper to your
If one of the assigned topics were “Military presence
abroad as a source of connections between North
America and specific places in other world regions”,
you could write a term paper that followed this outline [note how this outline
meets the requirement of naming three specific places (Denmark, Belgium, and
Mali) in at least two world regions (Europe and Sub-Saharan Africa)]:
Introduction [State the topic and why it matters]
US military’s Thule base in Greenland [Source
of connections No. 1]
- Global connection to explain: Diplomatic
relationship between the US and
Denmark that enables the
base to continue to operate (world region: Europe)
membership in NATO [Source of connections No. 2]
- Global connection to explain: Flow of personnel
from Canada to NATO headquarters in Belgium
to help run the organization (world region: Europe)
military mission in Mali [Source of connections No. 3]
- Global connection to explain: Flow of military
personnel and equipment from Canada to Mali
to carry out the mission (world region: Sub-Saharan
full sentences to sum up your three global connections]